Thrifting 101: How to Thrift Like A Pro
Updated: Mar 29, 2020
Hey Y'all ! Welcome back to another post. In this post, I will be sharing with you all the basic tricks and things to look for when you are out thrifting. Anybody can thrift, however there is levels to this LOL. Nevertheless, this is why you guys have me to help you out :).
1.) Look for colors, patterns, textures that catch your eyes.
- It's important to go into this and have an idea of what you like and what fits your personal style. Have fun with it, but you do not want to pick anything that you will not absolutely love. For me, I love getting colorful vintage windbreaker jackets because of the playful colors a lot of them have.
2.) Be willing to alter or DIY.
- This tip is so important. You may find a really cool graphic tee that you love, but it may be too long or something. Don't completely let go of it. Think of ways you can alter it to fit your style like maybe turning it into a crop or distressing it. The choice is yours.
3.) Check for stains and tears.
- The items are already cheap ! DO NOT make the mistake to pick up something that has a fault in it. You can make a small exception, if an item has a small tear and you know how to sew.
4.) Check the men's section and do not sleep on the kids section.
- This is great for items like graphic tees, sweaters/sweatpants, and even jeans. In fact, if you are looking for the perfect mom jeans this is the perfect place to look. If you have trouble looking for the perfect size think of the size you already wear and see what it would be in men. For example, if you wear a 4/6 in regular jeans then you would look in the section that is a size 27 in mens because that is the size you would wear in mens. I'm a size 32 because I regularly wear size 9/10 (Your girl is Kinda Thick LOL). A quick hack that I like to share is try looking for the tag that are on most jeans. For example, all vintage Levi Jeans have it and it'll show you the sizing on that as well. Also, if you are looking for the infamous "high-waist look," pay attention to the button fly on the jeans. If it is long, then 9 times out of 10 it'll be high-waist. If you still can not tell, then it is helpful to bring a measuring tape along. If it is past 11 in. then it will definitely be high waist.
5.) Give the shoe and accessory section a chance.
- DO NOT underestimate these sections. I've found some hidden and I am never disappointed.
6.) Wear an outfit you can easily change out of and try on top of.
- Make sure you are comfortable because you'll be looking through many racks . Also, if you plan on trying on clothing it will not be too much of a hassle .
7.) Envision yourself in the pieces that you are picking up.
- I always say if you do not absolutely love the item put it back. You have to be able to picture putting it together with other things and making the most popping outfit out of it.
8.) Depending on the thrift store explore the home goods section for decor and other items.
- I love photography and taking pictures so you can always go to a thrift store and get props for a shoot. However, if you just love finding one of a kind pieces I highly recommend giving this section a try.
I recently took a trip Urban Jungle ! It is one of my favorite thrift stores and it is apart of the L-Train Vintage Chain. Take a look at my little adventure. Let me know in the comments if you guys like the videos and I will go more in depth and talk about thrifting in more depth.
Shoutout to my friend Amari for editing the video !!! Follow him on Instagram @x.xxiv.mcmxcvi
Well folks, that is all for now. Be sure to check out the rest of my recent posts. I LOVE YOU ALL !
Till Next Time My Loves,
Twiggy Versatile xoxox
Connect With Me On Social Media
Instagram : @Twiggyversatile
Twitter : @Twiggyversatile
Snapchat : @zzoeeeeeeee